The Naval Air Warfare Center Aircraft Division (NAWCAD) is a land, sea and air test laboratory complex responsible for evaluating naval aviation’s advanced weapons systems. Originally established in 1943, the station quickly grew with the addition of the Naval Air Test Center in 1945, and the evolution of the Navy Test Pilot School in 1948. Today, NAWCAD, the Flight Test & Engineering Group and approximately fifty tenant activities are responsible for most of St. Mary’s County Job growth. Although it is no surprise to most residents of Southern Maryland, newcomers should be aware of the potential of periodic flyovers by our military’s finest pilots and their aircraft. We call it the “Sound of Freedom.” For more information about flyovers please review the Citizen Concerns website.